Good question! It’s a good idea to think about what you should look for when you purchase a new home before you actually sign on the dotted line and pay. Buying a new home can be a rewarding experience if you do it right. Just make sure you protect yourself from any surprises down the line. You want to know some of the ways you can? Well, you may want to consider these tips before purchasing your new home:
1) Make sure you select a reputable builder when you purchase your new home! Do your research on the builder to find out about their past work. You can find out the type of work a builder has previously done by getting the names of the home communities established by the builder. Go to those particular communities and ask some of the homeowners if they have had any problems with that particular builder. You can also ask the homeowners what they like about their home builder.
2) Consider getting a home inspection done on your new home by hiring your own independent home inspector. You can find a certified home inspector via the American Society of Home Inspectors(ASHI) www.ashi.org. If the builder of the new home you’re considering to purchase won’t allow an inspection, then you may want to consider moving on to another home builder that will allow you to do this.
3) Investigate and research any easements that may be on the property you’re considering to purchase. This will save you headaches later on! Make sure the easements don’t affect your enjoyment of your property in the future.
4) Consider having a real estate attorney look over the real estate documents for your new home purchase. Especially your closing purchase documents before you sign them at closing.
5) Purchase title insurance! This will protect you when you purchase your home. Title insurance will provide you with protection if someone challenges you about being the property owner of your new home.
6) You may want to consider not purchasing your first new home in a new community that has been developed. Why should you do this you say? Well, for one thing, it’s a test run and all of the kinks may not be worked out yet. You may get stuck with a lemon! It might be better for you to wait until the builder has developed more communities in order for you to consider making a new home purchase.
7) Find out how long it will take you to travel from your home to work. Can you deal with your commute? If so, that’s great! If not, this may end your quest with that particular builder to purchase a new home with them.
Well, get the idea why it’s so important to think about certain things before you consider a new home purchase? Good, then start looking for your new home now with these tips and information to assist you when you’re in the process of considering making your new home purchase.